Duke University's campus is absolutely gorgeous! Every building on campus, be it the residential halls, the chapel, class buildings, everything looks like a castle. No joke! Every single building is made of Duke BlueStone. Let me just say that I thought IWU has a pretty good looking campus, Duke put IWU to shame. On Wednesday, our first full day there, Eric made me get up nice and early to walk around both East and West campus, eventually making our way over to see Cameron Indoor Stadium to see all the students camped out there (more on that later) and stroll through the new Athletics Museum. I seriously think we were on our feet from 8 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon.
We stayed at the King's Daughter Inn, an adorable newly remodeled bed and breakfast over on Duke's East Campus. I totally forgot to take pictures, but I stole these from the their website, we booked the Woodward room on the second floor. The shower pressure was totally amazing! I think both Eric and I took longer showers than even normal while staying there because of that. Oh, ok, sorry back to those buildings!
The beautiful chapel
Inside
Other buildings throughout campus...
So back to those crazy Duke students that literally camp out for a week before any Duke vs UNC game at Duke. When we got to Cameron Indoor Stadium this was what we found. Sorry for the news trucks in the way, it was the only shot I could get of the mass of tents. Essentially, this is how this craziness goes down for these students who actually get to get into the game: Pre-Tenting began January 3rd (mind you that the actual game was on February 9th). Each group can have up to 12 people per 'tent group' and during Pre-tenting 1 out of 12 group members need to be present in K-Ville from 9 - 5 (the area you see all the tents in, which is next to Cameron Indoor Stadium). Beginning January 8th, Black Tenting begins. This is when the groups set up their actual tents and all groups need 1 out of 12 members there during the day and 10 out of 12 during the night. I should mention that it is totally a first come first serve basis, if you come late and your tent doesn't fit into a specific area you are out. What they call Blue Tenting begins on January 15th and this is when group numbers get assigned. Again 1 out of 12 members must be there during the day and now 6 out of 12 at night. The last phase is White Tenting which begins on January 29th. During White Tenting a secret on-campus location is determined by the overall monitor and apparently, on an again first come first serve basis this is how they decide the order of the groups that get to go into Cameron on the day of the game.
Seriously after finding all of that out, I am thinking paying what we did for our tickets is nothing! Ha! Actual game pictures tomorrow, I promise!










0 comments:
Post a Comment