So as most of you know Eric and I celebrated our first anniversary in Durham North Carolina for a Duke vs. UNC basketball game. Many people have asked, why Duke? Well to tell you the truth I really don't get it either, no one in Eric's family went there, but his entire family are huge Duke basketball fans. Our entire relationship has included Duke games on TV, I mostly know the Duke basketball teams from mine and Eric's college years (I call these the JJ Reddick years) due to the fact I couldn't hide from them while I was visiting Eric at Millikin on the weekends. And come on, didn't you know, that Duke and UNC is one of the biggest rivalries in the NCAA (oh the things you learn when married to a sports fanatic!)
So back in October/November of last year I began thinking about what we should do for our first anniversary together. You would think I would immediately think of romantic nights out to dinner under candlelight, but no I think 'what would surprise the socks off of my husband?' .... drum roll please.... "A DUKE BASKETBALL GAME AT DUKE!!!" Seriously Katie, what are you thinking?
So I began researching the game schedule and prices and then of course saw that Duke vs UNC was just one week after our actual anniversary. I knew this would be the topper if I could pull this off, if that 27 year old husband of mine had a bucket list, this would be right there on the top. Within a week everything was done, basketball tickets, airfare and the bed and breakfast (you know me, I can't move on until something is 100% complete!). This was going to be the great first anniversary trip a guy could ask for and to tell you the truth I was really looking forward to it too. I love giving great presents and to me just being able to see Eric's reaction to the entire trip was enough for me. (Well until next year, because darnit, it will be all about ME next year, mmmkay Eric, you got that!?!?!)
But until then, this was enough for me, just knowing that for one of the few times in my life, I didn't make something about me (call this Only Child Snydrome), I did something great for someone else and I enjoyed it 100%!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment