Friday, January 8, 2010

Three Weeks and I'll be Known as Katie Kramer

So weird! But really doesn't it sound like a news anchor name? I have always thought so. Maybe I should ditch this whole marketing thing and change professions! It is actually somewhat funny because I dated Eric in High School and used to pretend I was going to marry him and sign my name on my school notes: Katie Kramer. Come on guys, you know you all have done it! And it was High School, whoever you were dating at the time you thought you were going to marry.


Prom 2002

Any how, this whole changing my last name thing, it is this bitter-sweet thing. For me I always knew I would change my name once I was married, I love the tradition in it and the giddy feeling I would get having the same name as my husband. (Lucky for me Eric doesn't have a crazy last name that sounds awful with Katie!) But on the other hand I feel like it is losing this part of my identity that I have had for the past 25 years. I mean everyone seems to always have a comment on Licciardi and come on, lets get real, how can you really mess up pronouncing Kramer. And then there is the big reason why this whole process is so bitter-sweet for me.... my dad. It is like the last bit of him that I still have with me, his name. And while I did think about the whole hyphenating thing, Katie Anne Licciardi-Kramer was just a huge mouthful. And besides, if my dad was still here I would have changed my name to Kramer without blinking an eye. So, because of that, my mind was made up. You see, since the day he passed away I have always tried to live my life the same as if he was here. I know that is what he would have wanted, I know that would make him happy. Knowing I wasn't holding back because I was sad, or scared or because I felt guilty.


This picture has always made me laugh

So there you have it, a long answer to what should have been a quick response. Sorry if this post seems random or out there. But I really wanted to get out my thoughts about that. For everyone out there to know that yes I did make the decision to become Katie Kramer with much thought and am so excited (yet still weird) to become Katie Kramer.

0 comments: