With Father's Day around the corner it is only natural to think about my dad more. Lately I've been realizing that he has now officially been gone more years than he was in my life living on this earth. That just is crazy to me. There are times I feel like it was just the other day when I was turning 13 years old, opening my birthday present from him, my last present I would ever receive. And now here I am 14 years later, still daddy's little girl, but now married and all grown up. I sometimes think about how he still knows me, he still gets to watch over me and look out for me, but, who would he be today? What would he look like 14 years older, how well would him and Eric get along, would he have cried at our wedding?
I miss my dad in an unexplainable way some days and then other days I feel lucky to know I will always have a guardian angel looking down on me. When good things happen, he is always the first person I thank in my head. It is just natural.
Growing up I always felt like I had a closer relationship with my dad than most of my girlfriends. There was always something special about our time together. I tried explaining this to my mom once after he passed away. It was like somehow I knew, somehow I had the feeling like I had to get the most out of my time with this person. And let me tell you.... I did. I am the person I am today because of who my dad was, because of the life experiences I had at such a young age. But let's be real, I would give anything to get him back. But life is funny like that, no matter what happens, life always goes on, the world doesn't stop, time keeps ticking.
I have so much to be grateful for these days. I have an understanding and loving husband, a mom who loves me more than I will ever understand, a step-dad who has welcomed me as I am into his life as his daughter, friends who have become my sisters over the years, a job that while some days can be a struggle it is a good paying and stable (most days) place to work, a fur-baby who is the best third addition to our family to date and I get to be the daughter of a man who was stronger than anyone I have or ever will have met.
Moral of the story: I love my dad and I miss him in an unexplainable way

0 comments:
Post a Comment